Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Dhamma Brothers

It's not often I tell people how sensitive I am. But let's just say, after watching a documentary on the introduction of Vipassana Meditation to maximum security prisons in America - I ended up in tears. Not only due to the overwhelming gratitude I feel for the Dharma Network for introducing this practice to prisons, but also for the deep feeling of compassion and sorrow for the prisoners themselves.
This documentary conveys the very feelings I've had all my life, in regard to the dire need for compassion to be shown towards prisoners. The chance for rehabilitation, and forgiveness. To be treated humanely, with the understanding that we are more than our worst offense.
I'm the type of person that would enter a prison, sit down with a convicted murderer, listen to what he or she had to say completely free of judgment, instill compassion and hope within them, and leave with hug.



The world lacks an enormous amount of compassion, but is capable of so much more.
It has always upset me greatly.


No comments:

Post a Comment